Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Response to Sotirin: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch

Overall I found this article pretty dull. The last thing I want to read is someone ramble on about the different styles and implications of bitching. But for sake of having something to talk about, the concept that bitching contains both “talking with” and “talking against” was interesting. You never stop to analyze how you or others complain and the implications that is has. When I listen to others bitch, it is just a natural response to say things like “yea, I know how you feel”, or “ something like that happened to me once”. Establishing a connection with that person is the inherently right thing to do. But then there’s always the person being complained about. There are obvious implications if bitching about a superior, get around to that superior. The discussion of that situation was not in this article, but I’m sure much could be said.
One thing I really didn’t care for was the dividing of all variations of what they call bitching. I realize the irony here that I am now the one bitching about this article, but when it comes down to it, bitching is bitching. Whether your not being treated right at work, had a bad day, or just not feeling well, complaining is just a part of everyday life. It is something to talk about. If you ask someone “How was your day?”, you’re never going to get “Everything went exactly how I planed today.”. And if you do, it’s definitely not going to happen everyday.
Sotirin made a good argument that bitching is just a way to cope with one’s situation and is in no way a move towards actually solving it. Given that people of lower job status mostly do the bitching, you see their limit in what they can do. Upper management doesn’t always respond well to complaining from those in lower positions. The best thing to do is just do your work and avoid confrontation. The phrase I remember my mom telling me is “No one likes a winer”.
One thing we talked about in class was how this article seems to point fingers at women for bitching, but it’s more of a general feature of lower status workers. But from that I must say guys will avoid bitching if it makes them look weak. At work, you won’t hear a construction worker complain about the heat or cold or sore hands to his boss. It’s about pride. It’s the same thing with asking for directions, men just won’t do it unless things get desperate. Looking vulnerable is something to avoid as a guy, while women are not opposed to it. Of course these are very general statements, but definitely carry some legitimacy. Either way, bitching is just something we all get to dish out and endure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home