Saturday, February 9, 2008

Illegal Downloading

I’m currently on my way to Eau Claire this weekend for a conference bowling meet. Listening to the music on WJJO got me thinking, wow, I want to download this song. So I’m going to give my take on illegal downloading and the music industry. Obviously, I’m a little biased towards being able to download music. I think it should be allowed. It’s a great way for bands that aren’t well known to get their music out there and find new fans. There’s no faster way to get information around than the Internet. Not to mention most people who download music are only downloading singles and a few tracks they like. Some albums are just not worth having and only a few songs are good. Many, including myself, will actually go buy and album after downloading a few tracks to see if I like the new band. I understand that the music industry is losing money on the whole deal and copyright laws make this act illegal, but I doubt any recording artist is feeling the pinch of illegal downloading. Have we ceased to hear about cars, drugs, pimping women, and bling from the rappers? I haven’t heard any monetary hardships suffered by artists. I know the exact opposite argument could be made, but I have little sympathy for those owning 5 cars, 8 bedroom houses in California, private jets and can go and do anything they want. Yes, there may be some jealousy involved. I still hold my position that music downloading should be legal. There are legal ways to download that are fairly inexpensive. I know Napster and Itunes offer $.99 downloads for almost any song. This is okay, but I still don’t agree with paying for a song by a new band, that your not sure you’re going to like. This is a touchy issue, but it seems that the recording industry is winning the battle as more and more programs are getting shut down or required to charge their users. So, to those of you downloading music for free, enjoy it while it last, and those who pay for their tunes, I guess kudos to you for your moral fiber.

Rufman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home